Thursday, September 30, 2010

End The Backlog.

When I say I'm a huge Law and Order: SVU fan, I really mean that I'm obsessed. Like, literally. To prove it, let me just say that I ran across campus last night in order to catch the episode. And it was worth it. I have looked forward to this episode, titled "Behave", since I heard of its conception. And unlike some of the episodes that are purely creative writing, this one had it's base in a horrible truth - the rape kit backlog.

Some background on my dedication to sexual assault awareness. I spent the summer before college watching every Law and Order: SVU episode on Netflix. I fell in love, not just with the characters, but with the issues that the show took on. Before SVU, rape was a taboo, something that just wasn't talked about. Over the course of 12 season, SVU has changed that. One of the lead detectives, Olivia Benson, is played by Mariska Hargitay. She has repeated the story of how she went on to found the Joyful Heart Foundation many times. Most actors and actresses receive letters when they step into the spotlight and Mariska was no different. But instead of getting letters asking for autographs, she had letters from rape victims telling about their assaults for the first time. She founded the Joyful Heart Foundation in 2005, an organization that helps shed light onto the issues of rape, sexual assault, and domestic violence.
One of the pieces of jewelry that I never remove is a gold necklace that's proceeds went to the Joyful Heart Foundation - a small gold plaque with the word "FEARLESSNESS" inscribed on the front. The JHF has quickly become my charity of choice.

This most recent SVU episode is based off one of the JHF's survivors. She was raped multiple times, yet submitted herself to further humiliation by having a rape kit done, a four to six hour procedure, in order to try and catch the rapist. It sat in a police evidence room, never tested. The JHF's newest goal is to end the backlog of rape kits that is prevolent across the nation. Visit End The Backlog to learn more about this issue and how you can help.

By not testing these kits, law enforcement officials are sending two messages. One goes to the rapists, letting them know it is alright to continue committing these truly heinous crimes. The other, more importantly, goes to the victims, telling them that their case is not important. This cannot continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment