Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Castle.

Okay, I'm a fan-girl for most of my favorite television shows. I often "ship" characters. But Castle is a special creature. Out of all my shows, this easily claims the title of FAVORITE.

Some background. I discovered Castle on a whim. I had watched all the episodes of my then-favorites and was trolling the internet for a new series. I had seen the title "Castle" before, but had dismissed it as some sort of medieval show. Thank God I had the sense to look at the wikipedia page for the show. I was hooked from the beginning.

The premise is simple. Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion), a best-selling mystery author, has just killed off the lead character of his novels, finding himself bored with writing. After a serial killer emulates the murders from his books, Detective Kate Beckett (Stana Katic) questions Castle. He generously offers his services for the remainder of the case, figuring he would have special insights to the murderer's mind. Beckett puts up with his antics and insane theories for the case and thanks him after closing it. Castle, however, has a different idea. He wants to use Kate Beckett as the muse for his next lead character and pulls strings to be allowed to shadow her for inspiration. And so started the most amazing, underrated television show I have discovered. Tagging along in the cast are Detectives Kevin Ryan and Javier Esposito (Seamus Dever and Jon Huertas), Captain Roy Montgomery (Ruben Santiago-Hudson), and Medical Examiner Lanie Parish (Tamala Jones) in the Twelfth Precinct. Castle's show-biz mother Martha Rodgers is played by Susan Sullivan and his daughter Alexis, played by Molly Quinn, round out Castle's family.

Now, I don't often have a favorite episode in my list of shows. But this week's episode has taken the cake. It is the second of a two-part episode, titled Countdown. I've watched it three times over the past two days and it still takes my breath away. The most stunning part happens within the first fifteen minutes of the show.

****************SPOILER ALERT****************










Our dynamic duo is trapped in a freezing steel storage crate. Since they were thrown off the task force formed to find a dirty bomb set to go off in New York City, no one is missing them. If they are not found within a few hours, both will freeze to death inside the crate.

As the rest of the task force focuses on finding the bomb, Castle and Beckett huddle against a wall to conserve their heat. Moments before passing out, Beckett thanks Castle for being there with her.

It is the next scene, one that lasts less than 5 seconds, that really gets me. As Castle passes out, his cheek resting on Beckett's head, the normally cheerful logo appears. Yet, this time, the NYC skyline shot and logo are bathed in a pale blue light and the soft music from the preceding scene continues over. Again, I have seen this three times and it is still one of my favorite moments in Castle's three seasons.


However, I do have one qualm with the series. Beckett has nearly admitted her love for Castle twice. Castle has nearly spat it out once. They shared a kiss, be it part of an undercover operation or not, and that can't be taken back. JUST GET IT ON! {Though I do have hope, since Castle writers on Twitter have promised that they will get their moment and to be patient.}

No comments:

Post a Comment